[systemd-devel] dbus API for unit state change?

Brandon Philips brandon at ifup.co
Wed Oct 2 19:27:02 PDT 2013

Hello-

While writing against the dbus bindings I found one missing feature:
signals from org.freedesktop.systemd1.Manager on unit "ActiveState"
changes.

I can do this today by polling ListUnits but I would rather not have
my process doing this.

There are two possible APIs:

1. Distinct signal per type

UnitActive()
UnitInactive()
UnitReloading()
UnitFailed()
UnitActivating()
UnitDeactivating()

2. One signal type for all changes:

UnitActiveStateChanged()

This would encode the ActiveState and SubState in that signals
properties. That seems a much simpler.

Before writing the patch I wanted to get some feedback on the API and
make sure this hadn't been implemented for some other reason either.

Thanks,

Brandon