[systemd-devel] Cross-building systemd?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Oct 4 08:30:01 PDT 2013

On Fri, 04.10.13 17:12, Warpme (warpme at o2.pl) wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to build sytemd in cross-build environment.
> One from many needed dependencies is libcap which is really old and
> isn't cross-build friendly.
> It looks like libcap-ng is kind of successor and I can build this
> lib in my cross-build environment.
> Is there any way to build systemd with libcap-ng ?
> Or maybe there is possibility to build systemd without libcap?
> Thx in advance!

libcap-ng exposes a very different API from libcap. You cannot use them
interchangably.

I think libcap-ng's API is not a good design (implicit state...), hence
we are unlikely to support it.

The libcap dependency is not optional and unlikely to become optional.

libcap is something so low level and ubiquitious that I am sure some
people made it cross-buildable. In particular I am aware that systemd is
available in some embedded distros, which must have done the work.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.