[systemd-devel] moving from SysV to systemd - issue with / being ro

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Thu Oct 17 10:15:52 PDT 2013

On 10/17/13 4:27 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Perhaps a dumb question but are you 100% certain that
> systemd-remount-fs.service has been run? I've not seen any debug about
> it so far on this thread:
>
> systemctl status systemd-remount-fs.service
>
> Col

Col,
Console reports "Starting Remount Root and Kernel Filesystems..."
and next (after some other entries) "Started Root and Kernel Filesystems..."

Looking on systemctl status systemd-remount-fs.service reports:
Loaded: loaded
Active: active (exited) (with green color)
Exit code=0/SUCCESS

For me this unit looks like started, executed and exited OK.

My general logic is following:
-let assume initrd script leaves / with mode we are not sure (ro or rw)
-with SysV I don't have anywhere else remount command for / to rw - so
backward logic says script provides / with rw
-now I'm changing last line in script from /sbin/init  to
/usr/lib/systemd/systemd (script body is in OP of this thread)
-I'm receiving / with ro mode. So logic says that
/usr/lib/systemd/systemd process changes mode of / from rw to ro

Is there way to tell to systemd not mount/remout / (ideally not touch /
at all) ?

br