[systemd-devel] [RFC] split journal by loglevel

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Tue Oct 22 16:45:57 CEST 2013

Hello Everyone.

<rant>
Some of you may know I and my colleagues work hard to make Tizen work
for you.
</rant>

Tizen is growing really fast and we've got a problem. A lot of code
produce a lot of messages. Some of them are more important than others.
We want to access debug (and info) messages when a system is working and
we don't want to keep them accross rebots. The obvious solution is to
split messages into two journal files based on log-level.  Less
important messages would be saved in /run/log/journal more important
ones in /var/log/journal.

RFC.

As obvious as the desired result occurs I am not sure what is the best
place to hook and configure it. Is it another keyword (or set of
keywords) for SplitMode: level (level+uid, level+login (level+none?))?
Or maybe something around MaxLevelStore and line 836 of
journald-server.c[1]?

RFC.

There is yet another way I can think of: log everything to /run and
filter out everything below certain log-level. This solution however may
incur moments heavy load on systems during log rotation.

RFC.

Please give me some clues.

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/journal/journald-server.c?id=0fb0c56f5283a8a94560f595768a801c8240a9bd#n836
--