[systemd-devel] tree-wide conversion from libdbus to libsystemd-bus

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Wed Oct 23 02:12:09 CEST 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 1:55 AM, Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to be clear, this is step b/, i.e. systemd will still use dbus-daemon?

Yes. Only the link-dependency on the current D-Bus library will go,
but the runtime dependency on the daemon will stay as it is.

> Is there an ETA for when kdbus will land in the kernel, i.e. step c/?

No specific plan, rough idea is mid of next year; earliest.
The official answer though, as always is: when it's ready. :)

Some stuff has changed from the original mail, we might not touch/port
libdbus to kdbus, but only provide a socket-activated bridging process
with systemd.
This bridge will take care of the raw socket format of the current
libdbus. It will also allow to run java, c#, ... clients which never
used libdbus but did their own raw socket communication.

Gdbus though is still expected to get a native kdbus interface.

Kay