[systemd-devel] How to reduce systemd/journald memory usage?

Manuel Reimer Manuel.Spam at nurfuerspam.de
Thu Sep 5 14:57:34 PDT 2013

Hello,

I want to boot up a smaller ARM system with systemd. This, so far, works
well, but all the tools around systemd take a significant amount of my
available system memory.

Are there any switches that could be used to reduce memory usage of
systemd and journald?

Do I have to use journald at all? As far as I could find out, journald
keeps log in memory and doesn't write it out immediately. I don't want
that. I would prefer to run a simple syslog daemon which immediately
writes out to disc.

I tried to disable "systemd-journald" but it gets restarted via socket.
Is it possible to disable it permanently?

Thank you very much in advance

Greetings,

Manuel Reimer