[systemd-devel] Is ExecStop executed when service terminates by itself?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Sep 12 06:21:03 PDT 2013

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 12/09/13 00:22 did gyre and gimble:
> The "X-Systemd-RemainAfterExit" stuff suggests that there are Suse
> patches to systemd's core involved here which play games with
> RemainAfterExit=. Please direct any questions to the Suse folks
> regarding this.
>
> (Meh, such sysvinit script extensions are just evil shit, I wish suse
> wouldn't do such nonsense...)

This patch seems quite reasonable to me TBH, and IIRC Fred did post them
to the list at the time. I almost adopted it to in my package but didn't
think we had a need for it and was saving it until someone complained :)

That said, it seems the bug report has moved on since Andrey's message
here and it seems that the custom LSB header does actually solve the
problem by controlling the RemainAfterExit stuff explicitly which is
good and perfectly justifies Fred's patch!

Ultimately I agree the extensions are evil but this is still a
transitional phase and such things take time - users simply do not
rewrite all their initscripts after upgrading.

I suspect you'll get similar reports once RHEL switches over and
(paying!) users find their custom initscripts are now broken...

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie