[systemd-devel] systemd shutdown vs ostree

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Sep 12 13:51:39 PDT 2013

On Thu, 12.09.13 21:27, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> > So, as mentioned in the other thread, /usr should probably be on some
> > "OS resource blacklist" or so, and not attempted to be shutdown.
> >
> > But unmounting /var during shutdown should actually work. The only thing
> > that currently stops this from working cleanly is that journald is
> > configured to stay around until the last moment, but currently has not
> > interface to tell it to move its logging back to /run from /var. When we
> > have that then the /var issue should go away for you, no?
>
> It would be quite nice to have an easy way for a compliant initrd to say
> it can and will handle /var unmounting (perhaps by dropping a
> var.mount.d/ snippet in the /run/systemd/system/ folder at boot?).

Yeah, such a drop-in should just work. Just add "DefaultDependencies=no"
in there, and maybe instead "Before=local-fs.target", and you should be set.

> This will allow us to get persistent logs in which the initrd can
> report it's progress until the last possible moment. This might help
> debugging any problems in this particular link of the shutdown chain.

I think the really late shutdown logs should more liekly end up in some
EFI var and then flushed out on next boot or so...

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.