[systemd-devel] systemd shutdown vs ostree

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Sep 12 16:00:40 PDT 2013

On Fri, 13.09.13 00:31, Jan Alexander Steffens (jan.steffens at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 10:51 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > I think the really late shutdown logs should more liekly end up in some
> > EFI var and then flushed out on next boot or so...
>
> That sounds good. Maybe use the pstore system? A service could then
> read that data into the journal at boot, as well as any kernel panic
> dumps it finds.

I'd be happy to support pstore in the journald, so that we flush pstore
into it on boot. However, to make that workable we'd need some way how
we can handle multiple different parallel OS installations, so that if
you have Suse and Fedora installed in dual-boot the logs from Suse don't
end up in the Fedora journal and vice versa.

All we'd need for that if we could configure some string at boot for
pstore which would be included in the pstore dumps. systemd would then
initialize that string to the machine ID, and we could easily match the
pstore to the machine ID at each boot.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.