[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd 207

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at inai.de
Tue Sep 17 15:13:26 PDT 2013

On Tuesday 2013-09-17 21:03, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>On Fri, 13.09.13 15:15, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:
>>
>> 'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 13/09/13 03:16 did gyre and gimble:
>> >         * The option "discard" (as known from Debian) is now
>> >           synonymous to "allow-discards" in /etc/crypttab. In fact,
>> >           the latter is preferred now (since it is easier to remember
>> >           and type).
>>
>> I think you mean the "*former* is preferred now"? (I cannot see how
>> "allow-discards" is easier to type than "discard" ;)
>
>I clarified this in the NEWS file now. Of course "discard" is the
>preferred name as you guessed.

Humm. That's unfortunate (in a way) that discards is the same
allow-discards.

In pam_mount where discard too had been feature-requested (and then
implemented according to the way it sounds): "allow-discards"
_allows_ discarding, but only "discard" would make it such that
the filesystem issues discards to the block layer, leaving the
former case for manual discards.