[systemd-devel] libsystemd-bus and libdbus

Karoline Haus karolinehaus at yahoo.de
Fri Sep 20 01:48:50 PDT 2013

Good morning,

I'm very interested in systemd's DBUS client library. As far as I understand it brings significant performance improvements over the standard libdbus library.
It has actually been designed to one day talk to the kernel-based DBUS implementation, but can also be used to communicate with current non-kernel-based DBUS busses.
My questions on this matter are the following:
- is libsystemd-bus a straight replacement for libdbus? E.g. can applications currently using libdbus be ported easily to run libsystemd-bus? Or are the APIs provided by libsystemd-bus totally different?
- can libsystemd-bus actually be used without using systemd? E.g. is it a standalone library?

Thanks for your help.

Karoline