[systemd-devel] A small issue with user at .service

Yuxuan Shui yshuiv7 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 08:36:08 PDT 2013

Dear developers,

I had post-poned systemd updates for a long time, because update from
204 to 206 breaks systemd --user. Now start systemd --user manually
fails with:

Using cgroup controller name=systemd. File system hierarchy is at
/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd/user.slice/user-1000.slice/session-46.scope.
Failed to create root cgroup hierarchy: Permission denied
Failed to allocate manager object: Permission denied

Then I learned it seems that systemd --user is supposed to be started
by user at .service. So I messed with it for a couple of days. Now I seem
to have got everything settled, but there's still a small problem.

The thing is, the user at .service is not corresponding to any session.
loginctl list-sessions doesn't show it. And because of that, programs
started by systemd --user gets access denied when trying to make some
dbus method calls.

I tried adding pam_systemd.so to the corresponding pam config file,
and the result is systemd --user stops working, fails with the same
error as mentioned above.

Is there a way to solve this? Or is that impossible by design?

Regards,
Yuxuan Shui.