[systemd-devel] kernel-install questions

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Wed Sep 25 07:37:36 PDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> I have been looking at integrating kernel-install with Arch and I ran
> across a few questions:
>
> *) With /boot on fat, 'add' fails for me due to not being able to use
> "cp --preserve". How is this meant to work (or was it just not tested
> on fat)? Dropping "--preserve" makes it work for me.

Hmm, no problems here:
# cp --preserve /etc/hostname /boot; echo $?
0

# rpm -q coreutils
coreutils-8.21-11.fc19.x86_64

> *) How come the interface of kernel-install is not the same as what is
> used by "make install" in the kernel?

We need "verbs", because the same interface is used to remove things,
and to provide a switch to reset the entire config.

> With the below kernel patch make
> install "just works".

It's on our TODO list for long, but we haven't done it so far.

> Was there a reason for the different interface,
> or would you be open to adding compatibility with the kernel script?

What would compat mean? A symlink to kernel-install from installkernel
and checking argv[0]?

> (I could of course just ship a shim script, but I'd rather not).

We thought of letting the kernel Makefile look for kernel-install
first and fall back to installkernel, but we haven't look into details
so far.

Kay