[systemd-devel] systemd-networkd and After=network.target

Matthew Monaco matt at 0x01b.net
Wed Apr 2 04:22:12 PDT 2014

On 04/02/2014 03:41 AM, Ivan Shapovalov wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've noticed that systemd-networkd.service (ordered Before=network.target)
> finishes its startup before the connection is established/failed. Because of
> this, some networking daemons ordered After=network.target (like openvpn) are
> prone to failures when they attempt to connect at startup.
>
> Is this intended, or is this a bug, or have I overlooked some piece of
> configuration?
>
> Thanks, -- Ivan Shapovalov / intelfx /

For OpenVPN specifically, I *think* this is a bug (which I've poked at a
little). OpenVPN should be able to handle the networking coming and going as
it's running, but for some reason it can't resolve the remote address if it
wasn't able to at first start, even though it attempts to resolve it at each
connection attempt.