[systemd-devel] systemd-udevd seems to kill mount.ntfs started in rules scripts?

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 08:28:08 PDT 2014

> More of my porting from F16 to F20.
>

> I have the following in /etc/udev/rules.d
>

> ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="block", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb",
> RUN+="/usr/local/onelan/ntb/bin/ntb_mount_usb"
>
> ACTION=="remove", SUBSYSTEM=="block", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb",
> RUN+="/usr/local/onelan/ntb/bin/ntb_mount_usb"

[..]

> But as soon as the script exits the mount.ntfs process is killed off by
> something? systemd-udevd maybe?

Long running process should not be run from udev rules. If udev is run
under systemd it will kill such processes after a timeout (I think it
was 120 secs)

> How should I be doing this?

You could use something like udevil or udisks-glue.

If you want to do it via udev/systemd, use SYSTEMD_WANTS

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="block", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", TAG+="systemd",
ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}+="foo.service"

Then write a foo.service which does the actual mount.
You can pass additional information to the service if you use a template

universe are pointed away from Earth?