[systemd-devel] Move use of locale_t to different shared file, so that udev can still be built without it (MinimalBuild)

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Apr 9 09:38:19 PDT 2014

On Wed, 09.04.14 09:40, Samuli Suominen (ssuominen at gentoo.org) wrote:

> >> This is the *only* patch we are carrying for udev currently, otherwise
> >> uClibc builds work fine, so please at least consider what
> >> I just said.
> >
> > All this "locale_t" thing is standarized in POSIX 2008, . it is up to
> > the particular libc to keep up with standards.
> >
> > systemd requires glibc, this is known and clear since the beginning.
>
> systemd-udevd doesn't, albeit their is secure_getenv but it's currently
> used only for logging, and note that there is still sysv support in the
> source tree

udevd only officially supports glibc, too. The entire systemd tree is
focussed on glibc, and nothing else.

If you want to run the stuff with other libcs, that's totally fine, but
please understand that incompatibilities with glibc need to be fixed in
those libcs, not in systemd. We will not add work-arounds for limited
libcs to systemd.

Or to turn this around: if you want us to apply your locale_t change
then show us that you can compile recent glibcs without support for
locale_t. Otherwise we are not interested, sorry.