[systemd-devel] LXC not working with systemd 209 or later

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Wed Apr 9 12:13:22 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 22:04:05 +0100
John Lane <systemd at jelmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Ok, now this is wierd. I have distilled the problem down to the bare bones.
> I have a "build_container" script
> (http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=RhDFhRZi) that will create a container
> called "testcontainer". It exhibits the problems I see. Now, if I rename
> that container to, say "testc", and restart it (changing nothing else at
> all) then it works fine.
>
> I am totally confused but it appears that the container's name affects
> how systemd operates...?

It is not the name but special characters in it -- is there anything wierd
about your locale, etc. settings?

> if you can try it and see if the same happens to you that would be very
> helpful.
>
> $ ./build_container
>
> $ lxc-start -n testcontainer
>
> it starts: will see journal output in the console boot messages, like
> this: "<30>systemd[1]: Set hostname to <test>."
> you can log in as root. no password. Long delay. Eventual
> "user at 0.service start operation timed out. Terminating"
> You can then "halt". slow to stop. "user at 0.service start operation timed
> out. Terminating" takes 90 seconds.
> Eventually stops, host prompt returned.

I ran your script in a freshly installed archlinux x86_64 VM and couldn't
reproduce what you are seeing, regardless of how I call the container...

> [...]
> Actually, you can avoid the above. Here's another test with just
> "lxc-create"
>
> $ lxc-create -n testcontainer -t archlinux -- -P util-linux
> $ lxc-start -n testcontainer
>
> Same problem.

Same as above, no problem.

Cheers,
--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key fingerprint: C0DF 20D0 C075 C3F1 E1BE  775A A7AE F6CB 164B 5A6D