[systemd-devel] systemd-networkd: setting the MAC address for a .netdev unit?

Matthias Schiffer mschiffer at universe-factory.net
Thu Apr 17 16:08:23 PDT 2014

On 04/18/2014 12:14 AM, Matthias Schiffer wrote:
> On 04/17/2014 11:28 PM, Dave Reisner wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 11:02:11PM +0200, Matthias Schiffer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'd like to configure the MAC address of a bridge device statically (as
>>> bridges tend to change their MAC address depending on the order the
>>> ports are added on Linux otherwise), but there doesn't seem to be a way
>>> to match for a bridge in a .link unit. This would be very useful for
>>> macvlans as well.
>>
>> Link files can match bridges generally with Type=bridge or Driver=bridge
>> in the [Match] section, or more specifically by just matching on name.
>> In the [Link] section, MACAddressPolicy=persistent should give you
>> persistent hw addresses in the general case, or you can use
>> MACAddress=fe:ed:fa:ce:be:ef to set whatever you like for more specific
>> matches.
>>
>> Does this not work for you?
> Hmm, I thought I tried that before, but using
> MACAddress=fe:ed:fa:ce:be:ef seems to work now. Please note that the
> Name= match is not documented in the systemd.link manpage.

I have to correct myself: The Name= match does not exist for .link
units. My testcase just seemed to work as a [Match] section only
consisting of a Name= match was considered an empty [Match] section and
matched on all devices...

This should really be added as AFAICT there is currently no way to match
on virtual devices like briges, TAP devices, batman-adv devices, etc...
which have neither a persistent MAC address nor an ID_PATH to match on.