[systemd-devel] Cache passphrase for cryptsetup?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Apr 21 21:57:14 PDT 2014

On Sat, 19.04.14 13:49, Nikolaus Rath (Nikolaus at rath.org) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have several LUKS encrypted volumes that use the same
> passphrase. Before switching to systemd, I have used the decrypt_keyctl
> keyscript to cache the passphrase, so that I have to enter it only once.
>
> As far as I can tell, the systemd cryptsetup generator is ignoring the
> keyscript option in /etc/crypttab when creating units.
>
> Is there another way to achieve passphrase caching with systemd?

If you use systemd with plymouth you will get this automaticaly, as
plymouth will cache the password for you.

There has been a long-standing TODO list item to use the kernel keyring
as cache for HDD passwords, and then optionally even open this up to be
useful for no-password logins for default users, which can be used to
unlock the gnome keyring or suchlike.