[systemd-devel] Unit configuration for S3QL filesystem

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Wed Apr 23 20:39:33 PDT 2014

Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> writes:
>>> systemd will invoke /bin/mount when mounting a file system, and
>>> /bin/umount when unmountin it. fuse file systems may fork off background
>>> processes from there, that will be kept around while the file system is
>>> mounted, and terminated atfer the file system is unmounted again.
>>
>> Is there any way to avoid that, and give the background process some
>> time to terminate on its own?
>
> It has that. We always send SIGTERM first, and after a timeout of 90s
> (by default) this is followed by SIGKILL if the process didn't exit on
> its own by then.

Apologies, I couldn't deduce that from your above statement, nor was I
able to find this in systemd.mount(5). The latter only talks about
processes being killed when the mount command did not return after
TimeoutSec seconds. Does this mean (hypothetically, I know it wouldn't
be helpful) that I could also use the other options from
systemd.kill(5), so that if e.g. I set KillMode=process any child
processes of the mount helper will actually be left alive?

Thanks!
-Nikolaus