[systemd-devel] Host and machine ids are equal (4c93d957bcf44b289c3e4edb5bd5c355): refusing to link journals

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Apr 28 09:12:30 PDT 2014

On Mon, 28.04.14 17:45, Ruben Kerkhof (ruben at rubenkerkhof.com) wrote:

> > Alternatively, remove the file in the container, as it will then create
> > a new machine id on boot automatically, and store in the file.
>
> Tried that, it does generate a machine-id, but the same one as on the host.
>
> [ruben at vm ~]$ sudo rm testcontainer/etc/machine-id
> [ruben at vm ~]$ sudo systemd-nspawn -bD ~/testcontainer
>
> And on the third line, the boot output shows:
> Initializing machine ID from KVM UUID.

Oh yuck, this looks like a bug in systemd.

Currently if /etc/machine-id is missing we will try to initialize it
from the UUID that KVM maintaines for each machine. However, this is a
bad idea if we are actually running inside a container already...

I fixed this now in 984233ceb6dfeecd8b43864795a660a200e4ac78 (I
hope). Please verify.