[systemd-devel] Work on adding polkit support to systemd1

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Wed Aug 6 05:44:16 PDT 2014

On 06.08.2014 14:23, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Stef Walter wrote on 06/08/14 12:23:
>> I've done initial work on adding polkit support to systemd1 DBus
>> methods.
>
> Hmmm, I thought this was deliberately not included as it meant a
> circular dep on polkit when talking to the system that's used to start
> up polkitd itself...

We were discussing this in Strasbourg. Lennart can probably summarize
better than I can. But my understanding is that these circular
dependency issues have been resolved.

> what happens if you try to talk to systemd1
> interface during early boot before polkitd has started (and before a dep
> that's needed by it) has started?

I think it falls back on just allowing uid zero. But would be good to
double check.

> I thought the main reason for logind to essentially proxy the
> Power/Reboot related stuff was such that polkit support could be added
> there outside of systemd1 itself and thus not have any circular dep
> problems.

FWIW, we don't involve polkit on on Power/Reboot and similar
of.systemd1.Manager method calls. General purpose callers should
continue to go through logind and/or the shutdown command.

Stef