[systemd-devel] right way to log to rsyslog/syslog only?

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Thu Aug 7 09:12:52 PDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 02:34:20PM +0200, Jon Stanley wrote:
> I'm not 100% sure what happens if there is a backing store,
> i.e. does it still store in memory?

No.

> Perhaps understanding why you're allergic to the journal would help in
> figuring out solutions to the actual underlying problem.

There is nothing wrong with the journald per se, but it's not a replacement for
the classic syslog: journald offers only log storage, while syslog is a log
processing tool. This distinction is dim on a desktop, but is very apparent
even on a simple server machine.

Cheers,
--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4