[systemd-devel] right way to log to rsyslog/syslog only?

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 14:44:47 PDT 2014

On 08/07/2014 08:41 PM, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> Sorry for a long reply...

No problem I needed to see how you were thinking/doing this.

So basically you want to log everything to /run ( volatile ) and filter
out everything above a certain log-level and store that persistent in
it's own journal
( basically store the output from this "journalctl -p err" persistently )

Or you want to log everything to /run ( volatile ) and filter out
everything above a certain log-level for a specific user,unit,command
whatever and store that persistent in it's own journal.
( using your example store the output from this "journalctl -p err
_SYSTEMD_UNIT=dnsmasq.service" persistently )

One of the Samsung guys proposed something similar to the former a while
back ( and I think he signed himself up to it ) but as far as I can tell
his work has not landed yet.
( afaikt requires changes to journald-server.c|||introduce something
like SplitMode=priority-err |etc ).

I would not expect anything like this soon since Andy NAK their
SCM_PROCINFO stuff and they are probably to busy
re-writing/re-implementing it as SCM_IDENTY together with him but one of
the Samsung guys can comment if they had started working on or had
otherwise looked into this but as things stand now this cannot be done
afaikt.

JBG