[systemd-devel] systemd-resolved cannot survive router reinstall

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Aug 11 16:08:04 PDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 7:59 PM, Anatol Pomozov <anatol.pomozov at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a router where I experiment with OpenWRT. I sysupdate (i.e.
> reinstall) openwrt regularly, once or twice a week. I also have an
> Arch home server with the latest systemd. The machine connected via
> ethernet cable.
>
> Every time I reboot router it looses information about current DHCP
> leases and devices need to renew it. All devices (ipads/androids/music
> center/..) are able to renew leases, openwrt ui shows valid new dhcp
> leases. And only the Arch machine does not. It looks like other dhcp
> clients have some kind of heartbeat message and renew leases when the
> network is back. But not systemd-resolved. To restore the system back
> I need to suspend/wakeup the machine and it is annoying.

(I guess you mean systemd-networkd instead of systems-resolved)

The way it should work is that if you lose the carrier on a link and
then regain it we should renew the lease. If your machine is directly
connected to the router and the router is rebooted, this should be
triggered. So this sounds like a bug to me.

> Is it a known issue? Is there any additional information I can provide?

Not known, so may I ask you to start networkd from the command line as
follows and send the output:

# SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug /lib/systemd/systemd-networkd

In particular, point out at what point in the logs you restart the router.

Thanks for the report.

Tom