[systemd-devel] Output boot status, etc to LCD display

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Aug 13 12:02:56 PDT 2014

On Wed, 13.08.14 20:55, John Obaterspok (john.obaterspok at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My QNAP NAS has a 16 character x 2 rows LCD display that I would like
> to send systemd boot status messages to and other critical messages
> (like --failed services after bootup). I have a script that I can use
> to set text on this LCD.
>
> Any ideas how I could accomplish this?

How do you access it? If it's just a TTY, then you could use
journald.conf's TTYPath= with ForwardToConsole= and MaxLevelConsole= to
accomplish that...

If it's not just a TTY I'd recommend making it one. In userspace you
could do that by allocating a pty, and setting the right props... That
way you not only get compat with the journal but with everything else,
too that can write to a TTY.