[systemd-devel] networkd Promiscuous mode

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Wed Aug 13 18:53:02 PDT 2014

Hi Lennart,

>> There seems to be no way in systemd-networkd to put a link in
>> Promiscuous mode. This is needed to make macvlan work correctly
>> (Otherwise it receives no traffic with its mac address as the
>> destination). If I am not mistaken this could be a boolean in *.link
>> files.
>
> Sounds useful. Added to the todo list.

actually this sounds like a design mistake. If macvlan requires the network interface in promiscuous mode, then it should do that internally.

Inside the kernel the promiscuous mode is actually reference counted. This can for example be utilized from packet(7) sockets. That way you do not accidentally leave a device in promiscuous mode if all users are gone.

So why not fix macvlan to put the parent into promiscuous mode.

Regards

Marcel