[systemd-devel] Networkd dhcp hostname override

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Wed Aug 13 18:55:18 PDT 2014

Hi Lennart,

>> Now that networkd can send the systems hostname to the dhcp server, I would find it useful to have an option to override the hostname that gets sent.
>>
>> In my use case, I would like to setup a number of macvlans with different hostnames.
>>
>> Something as simple as
>>
>> [DHCP]
>> SendHostname=true
>> Hostname=foo
>
> Sounds useful, though this could just be a single option
> SendHostname=foobar or so. If not set it sends the system hostname,
> otherwise the specified hostname. Or something like that.

what would this be useful for? Either you send the hostname or you don't.

I think what you are looking for is an option to set the Client ID. And when that is set, then that is used. If it not set and SendHostname=true, the hostname is used as Client ID. If SendHostname=false and Client ID is not send, then none of them are send.

Regards

Marcel