[systemd-devel] How to get rid of this ordering cycle?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Aug 14 06:16:34 PDT 2014

On Thu, 14.08.14 16:27, Vlad Orlov (monsta at inbox.ru) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Debian Testing running with some additional packages from Linux
> Mint which are installed for testing purposes.
>
> One of them is mintsystem, which causes an ordering cycle during the boot:
>
> авг 14 13:51:06 jessica systemd[1]: Found ordering cycle on basic.target/start
> авг 14 13:51:06 jessica systemd[1]: Found dependency on sysinit.target/start
> авг 14 13:51:06 jessica systemd[1]: Found dependency on mintsystem.service/start
> авг 14 13:51:06 jessica systemd[1]: Found dependency on dbus.service/start
> авг 14 13:51:06 jessica systemd[1]: Found dependency on basic.target/start
> авг 14 13:51:06 jessica systemd[1]: Breaking ordering cycle by deleting job mintsystem.service/start
> авг 14 13:51:06 jessica systemd[1]: Job mintsystem.service/start deleted to break ordering cycle starting with basic.target/start
>

> The init script in mintsystem package is /etc/init.d/mintsystem. Here's its contents:
>
> #! /bin/sh
>
> ### BEGIN INIT INFO
> # Provides:          mintsystem
> # Required-Start:    $local_fs $syslog $remote_fs dbus
> # Required-Stop:     $local_fs $syslog $remote_fs
> # Default-Start:     S
> # Default-Stop:
> ### END INIT INFO
>
> /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSystem/mint-adjust.py
>

> I'd like to know: what can I change in this script to get rid of the ordering cycle?

This must be a really old systemd version?

So the problem here is that you want this to be started in the "S"
runlevel, i.e. during early boot. But you also want this to run after
dbus. dbus however is only started in late boot.

You have to make a decision here: run the thing in early boot (and hence
not in "S"), or run it after dbus. Both you cannot do, that's not
possible...

That said, we removed support for sysv init scripts as part of
early-boot a long time ago. Your distro's systemd must be really old or
somebody must have patched that it added that back in.