[systemd-devel] Changing configurations with networkd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Aug 14 08:36:50 PDT 2014

On Thu, 24.07.14 10:49, Tom Gundersen (teg at jklm.no) wrote:

> > I think there was some misunderstanding here. I don't want to keep the
> > lease across reboots. I don't care about that. I think networkd should
> > remember the lease when restarting networkd only and not send a new dhcp
> > discover.
>
> Right, I spoke too quickly. What I don't want is to preserve state
> between reboots, preserving it between restarts of networkd would
> indeed be fine. We already serialize the dhcp leases to /run, so I'd
> be happy to take a patch to deserialize these again when networkd
> starts.

Yeah, this would be great. This is what we are doing for machined and
logind too now, where we store everything in /run all the time, and can
then stop and start at any time without losing any information. I think
we should follow this scheme wherever we can. This would be particularly
useful when transitioning from the initrd to the main system, since the
initrd's networkd could simply be terminated and be replaced by the
host's version and still find everything.