[systemd-devel] sysusers and login.defs checks

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Aug 14 08:51:58 PDT 2014

On Thu, 24.07.14 13:32, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> I guess my main concern still remains that uid range settings for system
> users would now be in two places - one used by sysusers and another by
> adduser (I now accept your argument that the other two places are
> different configuration data even if it's conceptually similar). I want
> to be able to tell a user that the configuration is in one place not
> explain that package "system users ranges" are in one place and
> adduser's "system user range" is in another.

Well, here's the thing: I reall don't think the boundary should be a user
configuration thing. It should be a vendor configuration thing. And thus
you shouldn't tell your users about how to configure it at all.

I think communicating how to select the users that get split up journals
makes a lot of sense, but not how to shift the boundary in general. And
that's kinda the key of the issue here...

I am still convinced that adding a range command to sysusers and a
SplitUserRange= setting to journald is the right way to go...