[systemd-devel] Start Up services using systemd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Aug 14 11:33:59 PDT 2014

On Mon, 21.07.14 17:26, Bharath Chandra (ellurubharath29 at gmail.com) wrote:

Heya,

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to analyze what all services that would start during boot up
> process statically, i.e just by looking into the unit files, without
> running the system. I have understood the dependecies of unit files using
> Wants, Requires,After but i do not find all of the services which are
> listed under a specific target.wants directory to be in active state.

Some services actually terminate after they have done their job. Do you
have any services in particular in mind here that do not stay active?
>From which targets are they pulled in?

> Eg: All the services are not loaded which are present under
> multi-user.target.wants directory. I am new to systemd. Kindly help me in
> understanding the dependencies.

This is actually not that easy, as many of the services started at boot
might get pulled in dynamically due to udev rules, or because of
generators and suchlike which can dynamically extend the initial
transaction depending on external configuration.