[systemd-devel] Make journalctl start at the end of the journal by default

Philippe De Swert philippedeswert at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 04:46:17 PDT 2014

Hi,

Having to often use journalctl it has slowly driven me insane with the
default options not matching common use cases.

Attached is already a patch to start the journal at the end. Usually
people check the logs when something went wrong, and don't care about
what happened three weeks ago at the beginning of the log. Yes you can
press the "end" key to skip to the end but in some cases that freezes up
the console for over a minute.

Other gripes are --no-pager... way too long to type on a virtual
keyboard when you are trying to use the logs old style with common unix
utilities. Maybe not having it by default, or introducing a shorter
command switch should not be hard to add.

And also I would like to see the full logs always by default. Usually
after lots of searching you find the offending log entry for the error,
only to find out you forgot to pass the right command line options to
journalctl and the important bit is cut off.

If you guys are willing to also consider those other two gripes I will
glady submit patches for those also.

Regards,

Philippe