[systemd-devel] start / stop daemon

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 03:15:35 PDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Bonno Bloksma <b.bloksma at tio.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not know whether this is something systemd should handle or if it is something that belongs to the kernel, so let me ask this first:
>
> Is starting and stopping a daemon part of something systemd is / becomes responsible for?

Well, yes, starting & stopping daemons is pretty much the *primary
function* of systemd; it's part of the job of being an init system.
(Although the old SysVinit would rather delegate this to
shellscripts.)

The kernel still manages individual processes (fork/exec/exit), of
course; but it's not the kernel's job to care about what is a 'daemon'
nor what daemons should be started & when.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>