[systemd-devel] Machines, VMs, Container listing

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Aug 19 04:16:48 PDT 2014

On Tue, 19.08.14 21:02, Roger Qiu (roger.qiu at polycademy.com) wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> What is the difference between:
>
> systemctl list-machines

This lists the locally running containers, and the state of systemd in
them. It basically tells you about which contaienrs are healthy and
which ones aren't.

> machinectl list

This lists all locally running containers and VMs, it shows nothing
about what's running inside of them.

> It seems that systemctl list-machines shows my current machine. But
> nothing on machinectl. Are they going to merged together any time
> soon?

I don't think so.

"systemctl" is a tool for exploring the system manager's state, on the
host and in containers.

"machinectl" is much more superficial, it just lists you whatever is
registered, and doesn't go into the contaienrs. It also knows about VMs,
where "systemctl list-machines" doesn't.