[systemd-devel] Suppressing automounting

Dale R. Worley worley at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 19 12:56:15 PDT 2014

(This is more proper for a systemd-users mailing list, but I can't
find one.)

I'd like to customize my systemd.  (I'm running Fedora Linux 19, with
systemd-204-20.fc19.x86_64.)

I have a line in /etc/fstab like this, which refers to a logical
volume on a USB storage device:

/dev/Freeze02/Store2		/Store2        ext4	nofail,defaults	0 0

Of course, if the logical folume Store2 is present at boot time, it
gets mounted.

In the past, once the system is running, if I plug in the storage
device, the volume does not get mounted unless I manuall issue "mount
/Store2".

More recently, if I plug in the storage device, the volume gets
mounted automatically.  Messages in /var/log/messages suggest that
systemd is doing the mounting.

I would like to suppress the latter automatic mounting.  (This is for
all filesystems, which means I don't want to have to modify every
fstab line.)

The documentation of systemd is voluminous and hard to understand, but
I believe that in order to do this, I need to provide systemd with a
value that applies to all *.automount units that suppresses the action
of the unit.  Because I do not want to put "noauto" in the fstab line,
I expect that the initial mounting will still be done if the logical
volume is present at boot time.  I'm guessing that putting something
in a "automount at .service" file will suffice.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Dale