[systemd-devel] Shutdown notify

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Aug 20 08:13:59 PDT 2014

Lennart Poettering wrote on 20/08/14 14:58:
> On Wed, 20.08.14 15:50, Michal Witanowski (m.witanowski at samsung.com) wrote:
>

>> The inhibit locks mechanism seems to be the solution, but another problem
>> appeared. I am unable to call Inhibit() method as non-root user. In the
>> documentation I read "Taking inhibitor locks is a privileged operation.
>> Depending on the action...". But how can I add a user to privileged users
>> group? Note that I do NOT have PolicyKit in the system...
>
> Well, PK is how we open up those calls for unpriviliged clients...
>
> If you don't have PK then this functionality will not be available...

I suppose in an embedded env then creating a totally trivial setuid
wrapper and shelling out to /usr/bin/systemd-inhibit would be a suitable
alternative to PK.

Not nice and obviously you have to be careful not to write an
exploitable setuid wrapper, but might be what you need in this case?

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie