[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd 216

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Aug 21 01:13:54 PDT 2014

Lennart Poettering wrote on 20/08/14 23:17:
> On Wed, 20.08.14 20:43, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:
>

>> Lennart Poettering wrote on 20/08/14 01:59:
>>> Heya!
>>>
>>> This is a major new release. Among many other changes systemd-resolved
>>> is now a pretty complete caching DNS and LLMNR stub resolver.
>>>
>>> http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/systemd-216.tar.xz
>>>
>>> CHANGES WITH 216:
>>
>> Can I ask if something has also changed with debug logging?
>>
>> Since updating (and even before reboot) all my systemctl commands now
>> spew a bunch of debug to the console.
>>
>> I have booted with systemd.log_level=debug which might be to blame here,
>> but even still this seems like an awful lot of output to spew to the
>> terminal...
>>
>> I can hunt it down more specifically but no relevant commit message
>> mentioned "debug" so I figured I'd ask first and check if this is an
>> intentional change.
>
> Yeah, "debug", "systemd.log_level=" and "systemd.log_target=" now apply
> to all systemd tools, not just PID 1.

Is there any way now to configure my system to have debug logging
generally (I like to keep that on quite often to spot issues etc) but
not spew stuff all over my terminal (especially during tab-complete)?

Is it perhaps just a matter of specifying log_target explicitly too
(although personally I'm less interested in the debug info from the
tools talking to their daemons and more interested in just PID1 debug
logging).

It's not a huge deal as I can turn it off generally.

Cheers

Col

--

Colin Guthrie