[systemd-devel] systemctl preset and chkconfig

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Aug 22 07:51:10 PDT 2014

Hi,

I recently changed my %post scripts in Mageia to use systemctl preset
rather than systemctl enable to allow for policy-based overrides of
"enable on install" behaviour.

Sadly, unlike enable, preset does not shell out to chkconfig, so passing
a service name that's not got a native unit no longer gets enabled.

Now I can work around this in our %post scripts, but an alternative
would be to teach preset about chkconfig and shell out to that if a
native unit is not found.

I'm not overly bothered where I work around this and of course long term
goal is not to ship any sysvinit scripts anyway. But before I work on a
solution, would upstream be interested in preset supporting chkconfig?

If not, it's probably quicker and easier for me to do the work and
maintain it in scripts rather than systemctl itself, hence why I figured
I'd ask first.

Cheers

Col

--