[systemd-devel] (no subject)

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Dec 2 14:38:34 PST 2014

On Tue, 02.12.14 23:50, Andrey Shinkevich (andysh77 at mail.ru) wrote:

Heya,

> My name is Andrey. I would like to activate a service by socket or
> D-Bus and stop it when unneeded. The activation works fine but I
> failed to find a way how the service can be stopped/deactivated
> automatically when it is no longer needed by using applications.

Services need to determine internally when they are idle and then
exit. We cannot determine from the outside if a daemon is idle, and
hence we cannot decide when the right time would be to shut down a
service.

There might be a variety of reasons why a daemon is busy: it might be
client connections, and all kinds of background work, but systemd from
the outside cannot really know much about that.

Please contact the authors of the daemons you are interested in, and
ask them to consider implementing an exit-on-idle logic.