[systemd-devel] Shutdown problems

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Dec 2 18:01:07 PST 2014

On Mon, 24.11.14 12:31, Nikolaus Rath (Nikolaus at rath.org) wrote:

Sorry for the late reply, still have a huge backlog of mail which I am
trying to process right now.

Hmm, this is weird. If there are no shutdown hooks and no initrd that
installs /run/initramfs/shutdown, then the only thing between your
hook and the reboot() syscall is an invocation of sync(). I wonder if
that might be the issue here? Can you try adding an explicit
/usr/bin/sync invocation to your hook script, and check if that
survives? (add an echo line after it, to check if it completes).

In general though: this really smells like an LVM or kernel issue. I
usually just reassign bugs involving LVM to the LVM package. I'd
recommend asking the LVM people for help, maybe?

Any chance you can try to reproduce this without LVM in the mix?

Sorry if I have no other recommendations, but if sync() and reboot()
are really the only things that are executed after the hook script then
I really have no suggestion what might be going wrong except that
there's something wrong with the kernel...

Sorry if this isn't too helpful,