[systemd-devel] networkd: Support setting mtu / mac address by interface name

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Dec 3 18:50:49 PST 2014

On Mon, 24.11.14 11:46, William Kennington (william at wkennington.com) wrote:

> I'd like to be able to set the MAC Address and MTU of interfaces, with just
> the interface name alone. The current method for matching links seems to be
> heavily tied to udev ATTRs and I understand given the nature of
> systemd.link that it might not make sense to Match based on name. However,
> I need this functionality to support mapping the current OS defined network
> configuration syntax to networkd. Is there any chance this could be
> supported in systemd.network instead of systemd.link?

Tom, I think it would make sense to allow Name= matches in the [Match]
section of .link files, no? I mean, most of the times .link files are
used to choose the name depending on other fields, but I think in all
cases where the name is chosen at creation time of an interface (like
for example for veth links), it should be Ok to match links based on
the name they already have?