[systemd-devel] journald syslog forwarding

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 08:09:54 PST 2014

On 12/11/2014 03:31 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> The difference is in how the logs are accessed: if journald itself does the jobs,
> they would be forwarded "live". If anything else, the uploader would be a client
> which reads the files in/var/log/journal/. The are advantages to both solutions:
> the first one might be more robust if writing the logs fails or stops for whatever
> reason. The second one will probably send more logs, because sending of logs can
> be delayed until the network is up. In the second version, the uploader can also
> forward logs from other machines (containers). Now that I spelled it out, the second
> version seems nicer.

I'm not quite following what you said there but I would actually think
the former as in "forward it live" is better, just define a host and a
port in journald.conf as well as perhaps the format of the logs being
sent. native journal, bsd-syslog, json ( or not and just send it
natively ) and perhaps the ability to send just specific journal types
as in...

system journal --> system.journal
User journal --> user-x.journal
Container journal --> container-x.journal
etc.

I personally dont think we should write any "clients" or uploaders other
then perhaps a listener that accepts only native journal output being
sent to it, and probably should rotate those files on tcp disconnects
and stores those "machine/host files" under relevant journal path.

We already have existing log solution like syslog-ng that natively
reads, filters locally and forwards those filtered logs over the wire
and or to a local ( running on the same host ) centralized syslog server
which takes care of anything including and beyond simply sending the log
over the wire...

JBG