[systemd-devel] journald syslog forwarding

Holger Winkelmann [TP] hw at travelping.com
Thu Dec 11 12:11:32 PST 2014

>> Journal carries messages from the initramfs. We cannot send them from
>> the initramfs, unless we bring up the network then, which we don't want
>> to do just for this purpose. But those messages are stored in /run/log,
>> and then flushed to /var/log, and the uploader tool can forward them
>> after the network is established.
>>

> Right but I thought that might be controlled via socket and once the
> network would become available it would dump the content of the socket
> buffer on the wire...

I was thinking about the same, but what about the size Limitation? Is there
not a long standing issue that the socket buffer size is global and not
per socket? I remember a discussion around one of the plumbers conference?

Anyway what abut a two fold approach? the journal learns plain live forwarding
to a remote host or even broadcast. and the messages can be forwarded once
the network is available. If socket controlled works you may win a few more messages
but you never know you get all messages from boot. This is current behavior
of remote syslog forwarding I assume.

If you want more there could be a independent tool works like the systems-journal-gatewayd
or systemd-journal-uplaod and can be started later once network available. This will
read the log and forward all messages from the current boot and following.

Holger

--
Holger Winkelmann
email: holger.winkelmann at travelping.com