[systemd-devel] Using `systemctl edit` on "invalid" unit names

Ivan Shapovalov intelfx100 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 02:33:52 PST 2014

Hello all,

it seems that the newly added `systemctl edit` command requires its arguments
to be valid unit names.

This causes `edit` operation to fail in apparently valid use-cases like

    systemctl edit getty at .service
or
    systemctl edit autovt at tty1.service

In second case, the error message is especially cryptic:
"autovt at tty1.service ignored: not found".

Actually I understand what it does mean: systemctl asks the manager to show
unit's FragmentPath -> the manager tries to load the unit -> loading fails with
"File exists" because getty at tty1.service is already instantiated.

(BTW, it's a separate question: is this failure valid or is it a bug?)

But well. I guess that `edit` operation should always work with unit files
directly, just like enable/disable commands do.

Is this all correct? Can anyone please comment on these two issues?

--
Ivan Shapovalov / intelfx /