[systemd-devel] name_to_handle_at() with UBIFS

Umut Tezduyar Lindskog umut at tezduyar.com
Wed Dec 17 11:48:55 PST 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 7:54 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 17.12.14 10:45, Umut Tezduyar Lindskog (umut at tezduyar.com) wrote:
>
>> For the record:
>>
>> It is not enough to have CONFIG_FHANDLE to get the support for
>> name_to_handle_with(). The FS also needs to support it and UBIFS
>> doesn't have support for it at the moment.
>
> For what precisely? The mount point detection code will actually fall back
> to classic fstat() checks if name_to_handle_at() is not available on
> both the mount point and its parent. Usually, this should be good
> enough for most cases.
>
> Lennart

udev is also using name_to_handle_at() without fallback. And thats ok
since we have the CONFIG_FHANDLE as requirement in our README file.
But what I am saying is, it is not enough to have CONFIG_FHANDLE to
make name_to_handle_at work. FS also needs to support it too.
Unfortunately UBI doesn't have the support yet but it is more common
to find the support on different FSs.

Umut