[systemd-devel] Improving module loading

Hoyer, Marko (ADITG/SW2) mhoyer at de.adit-jv.com
Sun Dec 21 05:25:17 PST 2014

We realized it with threads, which are much cheaper for this job.

> In principle this could cause
> problems with things making assumptions on the order of module loading,
> so that is something to keep in mind.

Mmm, I don't see any issues here since the dependencies are normally properly described on kernel side (otherwise you have a problem in any case). In worst case you are losing potential to parallelize loading of modules if your algorithm for distributing the modules to workers is not working efficiently.

> That said, note that most modules
> will be loaded by udev which already does it in parallel...

... only if you are still triggering "add" uevent through the complete device tree during startup, which is really expensive and does not go with the "load things not before they are actually needed" philosophy very well ...

> service
> > >
> > > I'd much rather we improve the autoloading support...
> >
> > My understanding is autoloading support is loading a module if the
> > hardware is available.
>
> That, or for non-hardware modules when the functionally is first used
> (networking, filesystems, ...).
>
> > What I am after is though loading the module when they are needed.
>
> This sounds really fragile to me (having to encode this dependency
> everywhere rather than just always assume the functionality is
> available).

That is actually the main challenge when this approach is applied. But the assumption you are talking about is in many cases a kind of facade only at least if your applications
- are not waiting for udev to completely settle after the coldplug trigger, or
- are able to deal with devices in a hotplug fashion.

> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Best regards

Marko Hoyer