[systemd-devel] systemd log entries

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Dec 22 07:20:41 PST 2014

On Sun, 21.12.14 17:35, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson (johannbg at gmail.com) wrote:

> And there is no reference to what "c1" actually means in the
> upstream

Well, the catalog entries can certainly be improved, I'd be happy for
a patch that improves them.

> documentation and advertising the mailinglist as an "support" is somewhat
> questionable as well.

Well, we are a community project, it's how we do support.

> We all know that opensource communities only provide "best effort" so on top
> of well advertising "support" in the first place where effectively exist
> none, are people supposed to change those line and reference to their
> support page if they are companies like Red Hat or Suse who can and do
> provide support?

Yes. I think it would make a ton of sense if distros would override
this.

> On top of that each of those msg implemented should be pointing to it's own
> msg-ID|||

Yes, we had that in originally, but nobody wrote the wiki docs, so it
was removed again, since it pointed nowhere

> Documentation:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/catalog/||@MESSAGE_ID@|
> <---
>
> Not some random upstream documentation ( you kinda have to use the docs line
> in units if you are going down that road do you not? )
>
> I think we need to rework/rethinks how this has been implemented in systemd
> and go through the effort of actually creating a catalog and provide each
> msg with it's own msg ID.

I think the implementation in systemd is fine, it's just the catalog
data that needs some improvements.

> And arguable we should be limiting this to error msg only since this is not
> particular helpful now is it/?/
>
> This feels like we have started to provided to much information for that
> information to be useful to anyone.

Well, my intention was to annoy people with this enough so that they
write the bits sooner or later and send us a patch. The annoying
certainly has worked, as we see now. Didn't get too many patches yet
though ;-)