[systemd-devel] Improving module loading

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Dec 23 06:37:50 PST 2014

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Hoyer, Marko (ADITG/SW2)
<mhoyer at de.adit-jv.com> wrote:
> [...]

In a stock Fedora/Arch (and probably others, but didn't check)
systemd-modules-load is not used at all. It is mostly there to make it
simple to work around sub-par kernel modules, but most have been fixed
by now, so it is increasingly irrelevant.

I agree that it is probably not worth doing lots of
systemd-modules-load-specific hacks to speed it up, but if we split
out the worker-pool logic from udev (which I'm currently working at as
we need it in more places), we can optimize that in a generic way and
if the numbers show that systemd-modules-load would benefit from using
it, I'd be all for hooking that up too (as doing so would then be
trivial).

>> If you have 1 context per module/thread you will need to initialize
>> each context which is really the most expensive part in userspace,
>> particularly if finit_module() is being used (which you should unless
>> you have restrictions on the physical size taken by the modules). Bare
>> in mind the udev logic has only 1 context, so the initialization is
>> amortized among the multiple module load calls.
>>

> This does not really meet my experience. Once the kmod binary cache is in the VFS page buffer cache, it is really fast getting a new context even in new processes. The expensive thing about udev is that it starts very fast forking off worker processes. So at least one new context per process is created finally too. Additionally, the people who decide to use systemd-modules-load to load specific modules have good reasons for that. A prominent one is probably that udevd is not working for the respective module because no concrete device is coupled with it. I think we do not have so many kernel modules, which need to be handled like this which brings us again to the question if it is really worth pimping systemd-modules-load.

I'm not aware of any kernel modules that legitimately needs to be
loaded in this way (i.e., all the ones that do can/should be fixed).

>> For the "don't load until it's needed" I very much prefer the static
>> nodes approach we have. Shouldn't this be used instead of filling
>> modules-load-d with lots of entries?
>
> We are not using systemd-modules-load for applying this approach since it is trying to load all modules in one shot. We are executing our tool several times during startup to get up hardware piece by piece exactly at the point where it is needed. The tool is either executed like modprobe or with a configuration file containing a set of modules to be loaded in one shot and some other stuff needed for synchronization and setup.

I'd be interested in understanding better the need for this
serialization. What bottleneck do you hit if you load modules eagerly?
CPU/IO? Could this be worked around by tweaking udev (limiting the
number of workers, fiddling with the order of triggering, tweaking
cgroup properties of the processes doing the loading,...)? It would be
nice to understand how a generic solution to this would look like so
we could consider if there is anything we want to improve in udev
here...

Cheers,

Tom