[systemd-devel] systemd shutdown problem on openSuSE 13.1 with NFS mounted user home

Rainer Krienke krienke at uni-koblenz.de
Tue Feb 4 02:31:04 PST 2014

Hello,

I am experiencing problems on openSuSE 13.1 systems using systemd, iff
this system uses NFS mounts for the users home directory mounted by
automount.

Regular 13.1 installations with local user home directories just work fine.

The problem is, that when trying to shut the system down this shutdown
process hangs for a very long time (> 5min). After 5 Min I went away ,
when I came back an hour later the shutdown had succeded.

To investigate the problem I created a systemd debug log of such a
shutdown you can download here:

http://userpages.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke/tmp/systemd/shutdown-debug.log

My problem is to extract really useful information about the real reason
for the hanging shutdown. My thoughts are, that perhaps systemd already
tries to umount NFS filesystems when there are still user processes
active on them and thus the umount hangs.

In the default openSuSE 13.1 autofs.service file there is no dependency
on user sessions (only this: After=network.target remote-fs.target
ypbind.service) and perhaps this is the reason for my problem. But I do
not know how I could tell systemd to stop automount only after the users
session has been terminated and thus his NFS home directory can be
umounted by stopping automount.

Any help is welcome

Thanks in advance
Rainer
--
Rainer Krienke, Uni Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, A22, Universitaetsstrasse  1
56070 Koblenz, http://userpages.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke, Tel: +49261287 1312